SECTION I. Privacy Statement
BIC Africa Annual Gathering, 17 November, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
BIC Africa has received funding from the European
The European Business Innovation Centre Network (EBN), hereinafter the ‘Beneficiary’, and the European Commission are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This privacy statement explains the reason for the processing, the way we collect, handle and ensure the protection of all personal data provided, how that information is used and what rights you may exercise in relation to your data (the right to access, rectify, block etc.). During this EU supported event the ‘Beneficiary’ collects and further processes personal data, Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data, as well as Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, is applicable.
2. Why do we process your data?
Purpose of the processing operation:
The European Commission, with the support of an external contractor, will monitor regularly project activities. Therefore, the ‘Beneficiary’ will have to transmit qualitative and quantitative monitoring data on the results of the activities. Participants at EU-supported events may be also contacted by the European Commission or by an external contractor, such as Public Policy and Management Institute (PPMI) from Lithuania, inviting them to respond to surveys to learn their views and opinions about an EU-supported event in which they have participated, e.g. a conference, meeting, seminar or other type of event funded fully or partially by the Horizon 2020 Programme.
Lawfulness of the processing operation:
The processing operations on personal data for the organization and management of the event are necessary and lawful under the following Article of the Regulation (EU) 2018/1725:
• Article 5 (a): processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest on the basis of the Treaties establishing the European Communities or other legal instruments adopted on the basis thereof.
• Article 5 (d): the data subject has unambiguously given his or her consent.
Furthermore, the processing operations on personal data linked to the organisation and management of the EU Programme are necessary for the management and functioning of the European Commission, as mandated by the Treaties, and more specifically articles 5, 7 and 211 – 219 of the EC Treaty.
3. What personal information do we collect, for what purpose and through which technical means?
Persons taking part in this event will be registered in a document called ‘the list of participants’, which will include at least their first and last names and sex/profession/ postal & e-mail addresses/phone number/fax number…. Depending on particular cases, it might also include participants’ organisation and country details. The personal data included in the list of participants may be used for monitoring and evaluating the Programme, including for surveys carried out throughout the programme duration.
4. Technical information
All collected personal data and responses to the above mentioned surveys will be processed using an online survey tool. This tool allows the subscribed organisations to create their own surveys and collect data from respondents. The system is 100% web based and completely secure. All survey responses are sent over secured and encrypted SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), ensuring the same level of security as online banks. All collected data will be stored at a specific data centre, and will not be transferred to any other locations.
5. Who has access to your information and to whom is it disclosed?
The access to all personal data as well as all information collected in the context of this ‘event’, BIC Africa Annual Gathering, is only granted through UserId/Password to a defined population of users, without prejudice to a possible transmission to the bodies in charge of a monitoring or inspection task in accordance with Community legislation.
No personal data is transmitted to parties that are outside the recipients and the legal framework mentioned.
The European Commission will not share personal data with third parties for direct marketing.
6. How do we protect and safeguard your information?
The collected personal data and all information are stored on a server of the ‘Beneficiary’ as well in relation to the above mentioned surveys, on a server of the external contractor of the European Commission, who both guarantee the data protection and confidentiality required by the Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 and Regulation (EU) 2016/679.
7. How can you verify, modify or delete your information?
In case you want to verify which personal data is stored on your behalf by the responsible controller, and have it modified respectively corrected or deleted, please contact the Controller by using the Contact Information below and by explicitly specifying your request. Special attention is drawn to the consequences of a request for deletion, in which case any trace to be able to contact you will be lost.
8. How long do we keep your data?
Your personal data will be part of a list of contact details shared internally amongst the staff of European Commission for the purpose of contacting you in the future in the context of the European Commission activities. If you do not agree with this, please contact the Controller by using the Contact Information below and by explicitly specifying your request.
Remarks can be addressed to the Commission Data Protection Officer.
Complaints can be addressed to the European Data Protection Supervisor.
10. Where to find more detailed information?
The Commission Data Protection Officer publishes the register of all operations processing personal data. You can access the register on the following link: http://ec.europa.eu/dpo-register
Section II. NOTIFICATION AND CONSENT OF TREATMENT OF PERSONAL DATA
ACCORDING TO ART. 13 OF EU REGULATION GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) – N. 679/2016 – 27 APRIL 2016 and authorization for publication
This notification is issued according to art. 13 of EU Regulation GDPR 2016/679 of April 27, 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and in compliance with the legislation on the processing of personal data, as well as on the free movement of such data.
The European Business and Innovation Centre Network (EBN), located at Avenue de Tervuren 168 B25, 1150 Brussels, Belgium (referred hereafter as EBN or as the Data Controller) would like to provide you with the following information about the processing of your personal data in relation to the registration to BIC Africa Annual Gathering organized by EBN, a partner in the BIC AFRICA project and referred hereafter also as the event.
The processing of your personal data will be based on principles of correctness, lawfulness and transparency, and will be implemented protecting your privacy, your rights and fundamental freedoms, in compliance with current legislation on the security and protection of personal data.
1. Data controller and contact
EBN – Communication Officer contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Internal responsible person
Internal responsible person: (email@example.com), (this is the main project manager of BIC Africa ).
The data will be processed by other authorized subjects and for this purpose instructed in compliance with current legislation.
3. Responsible of personal data protection and contact point
Thierry Veys, CFO at EBN. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Purposes of processing, legal basis, data categories and the storage period
You will participate in the BIC Africa Annual Gathering and related activities carried out by BIC Africa.
For the purposes of the application of European and national legislation on the matter (EU Regulation 679/2016, from now on Regulation), we inform you that:
- your personal data requested in the application form, i.e., First Name, Last Name, Email, and Work Information (Job Title, Organisation Name) have the following purposes:
- the correct and complete provision of the relationship concerning the BIC Africa event service and the event attendance (including any event online platform and ticketing system TITO: for more information, please follow https://ti.to/privacy), between you and the Data Controller and the online platform and ticketing system or between the company you are employed and Data Controller and the online platform and ticketing system. the fulfilment of obligations under the law, regulations or community regulations, as well as instructions given by authorities or bodies authorized to do so.
- Name, Surname, and E-mail will be used to contact you for the evaluation of the event.
- To provide and maintain our Service;
- To notify you about changes to our Service;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our event;
- To provide support;
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Service;
- To monitor the usage of our Service;
- Your images and name, when you interact with the session (in film, audio and/or writing ), interviews (in film, audio or both), and photographs taken during the event will be used for non-commercial purposes, including the promotion of BIC AFRICA ’s and BIC AFRICA partners’ institutional activities.
- Your Name, company, and the position may be displayed on the event platform to enable other participants to connect with you. You may choose at any moment to hide this information.
The legal basis of the treatment is the execution of the relationship concerning the participation of the Event and the necessity to fulfil legal and administrative obligations. The legal basis of the treatment is the consent (Article 6(1)(a) of the Regulation) for the successful execution and expected impact of the project. In particular, the following table details the purpose for each kind of personal data and storage period.
|Legal basis of the treatment||Categories of personal data being processed||Period of retention of personal data||Categories of recipients|
|Purpose 1:Complete provision of the relationship concerning the event service and the fulfilment of obligations under the law, regulations or community regulations||Execution of the BIC AFRICA project (Article 6(1)(a) of the Regulation) and specific authorization required||Name, Surname, Email, Job Title, Organisation Name Gender||Stored until the completion of all the project obligations after the project end, i.e., until 2027. The project end is in 2022 plus five years of obligations.||EBN and third parties belonging, as an example, to the following categories: other organizations belonging to BIC Africa , event & ticketing platform, external evaluators and the European Union [see EU Privacy Statement]|
|Purpose 2:For the evaluation of the event||Execution of the BIC AFRICA project (Article 6(1)(a) of the Regulation)||Name, Surname, Email||Stored until the completion of all the project obligations after the project end, i.e., until 2027.||BIC Africa partners may contact you to have your opinion about the event.|
|Purpose 3:Promotion of BIC Africa event and project activities of BIC Africa project, Documentation of event and activities of BIC AFRICA project, Institutional use for BIC AFRICA including teaching, dissemination and educational activities such as competitions, paper publications and institutional websites, etc.||Execution of the BIC AFRICA project (Article 6(1)(a) of the Regulation)||filming (in film, audio or both), photographs||Stored without any limitation of time||Published and disseminated (both contextual and subsequent to the event activity), making it available to the public – through any communication channels|
5. Nature of data provision
In general, failure to communicate and / or refusal to provide the personal data outlined above will make it impossible to take part in the BIC AFRICA event.
6. Rights of the data subject
The data subject can exercise the rights provided for in the EU Regulation set out below:
- access right [art. 15 of the EU Regulation] (being informed about the processing of their Personal Data and obtain a copy);
- modify their Personal Data [art. 16 of the EU Regulation] (the data subject can modify inaccurate personal data);
- delete Personal Data without delay (“right to be forgotten”) [art. 17 of the EU Regulation] (the data subject can delete their data);
- limit the processing of their Personal Data in the cases provided for by art. 18 of the EU Regulation, including unlawful processing or objection regarding the Personal Data accuracy [art. 18 of the EU Regulation];
- oppose the processing of their Personal Data [art. 21 of the EU Regulation] (the data subject can oppose the processing of their personal data);
- not to be subject to automated decision-making [Article 22 of the EU Regulation] (the data subject can refuse to be subject to a decision based on automated processing).
Further information about data subject rights can be obtained on https://autoriteprotectiondonnees.be/citoyen.
Under art. 19 of the EU Regulation, EBN informs personal data recipients, of any corrections, deletion or processing limitations, where possible.
The data subject can withdraw the consent for identification and personal data processing by sending an email to: email@example.com
Under Article 7 of the EU Regulation, the consent withdrawal does not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on the consent given before its withdrawal.
7. Right to lodge a complaint with the Guarantor.
The User is informed that he has the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority.
Rue de la Presse, 35, 1000 Bruxelles firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Possible consequences of failure to provide data
The data processing consent for the above purposes is free and optional. However, any refusal will make it impossible for the Data controller to carry out the purpose-related services.
9. Processing and profiling method
Personal data will be processed in physical and electronic format and entered in the relevant databases which may be accessed by data controller-appointed employees as internal data processors and persons in charge of processing. They may consult, use, process, align and carry out any other operation, including automated, under legal provisions necessary to ensure the data confidentiality, security, accuracy, updating and purpose-related relevance.
For purposes 1 and 2, your data will be collected throughout through TITO and processed by EBN. You can read TITO information about GDPR here: https://ti.to/privacy. And you can contact your local data protection authority if you have concerns regarding your rights under local law.
For purpose 3, we inform you that BIC Africa event can be the subject of video and audio-video recordings. These data, including images, filming and audio/video recordings (hereinafter, the “Images”), even in partial and/or modified or adapted form, taken during the event, will be treated in full respect of the GDPR. These Images will be taken also with the aid of electronic means by also by internal or external EBN authorized persons specifically instructed for this task. These Images will be processed, also with the aid of electronic means also by an authorized person specifically instructed for data processing, for the dissemination and communication activities of the BIC AFRICA project. The images collected will be stored, also in electronic form and on any technological support for the purposes and within the limits defined above and may be disseminated pursuant to Law n. 150/2000 on the www. platform as well as through social network channels (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube by way of example, but not exhaustive). The use of images does not give right to any compensation. EBN has the right to access or disclose the user’s Images without any consent, by reason of the art. 97 of law n. 633/1941. This authorization implies the granting of a non-exclusive license, without limits of duration and for the whole world, transferable to third parties, for the use of the Materials and includes the rights set forth in articles from 12 to 19 of the law of 22 April 1941, n. 633, including without limitation: publication rights; right of reproduction in any way or form; right of transcription, assembly, adaptation, processing and reduction; right of communication and distribution to the public, including the rights of projection, transmission and dissemination also in summary and/or reduced version, by any technical means, the right to keep a copy of the Materials, also in electronic form and on any known technological support or future invention for the purposes and within the limits defined above.
It is in any case excluded any use of the Images that could harm the honour, reputation or decorum of the person portrayed, taken or recorded
10. Amendments and updates
This policy is valid from the date indicated in the header. EBN may amend or supplement this policy after any regulatory later modifications or additions.
11. Consent and authorization for publications
By clicking on the checkbox on the Event registration page, I freely and fully consent to the treatment of my personal data accordingly to the purposes set in the above notification.
Updated notice on 22/11/2019.
I understand that I have the right to withdraw my consent at any time. The consent withdrawal does not prejudice the lawfulness of the data treatment based on consent before the withdrawal. The consent is revoked with the same ease with which it is granted.